Friday, May 29, 2009

High School Of Music and Art: Brana Lobel






preparatory drawing drawn in 1956 (?) and intaglio print of my classmate

Brana Lobel . Our teacher instructed us to depict the person seated on the opposite side of the table; that is why Brana, one of my chums, appears here. Another part of the project was to do "contour drawing"; no tonal effects were permitted. I do not recall whether another problem we had to cope with was not looking at the paper we were drawing on. I believe I have some other examples in this blog of comparable drawings. Coordination of eye and hand was and is essential for all pictorial artist, both beginners and the greats. Looking back now, some 55 years after the drawing was made, I appreciate the fine program Music and Art had for its majors in art. The drawing instructors were superb. (This comment could also be applied to other teachers as well; now , having taught art history at a university, I do think that the term  "teacher"  gives full credit to our  fine instructors whose knowledge and skill that they possessed to convey the basics of the visual arts to us.
Ms Lobel asked to have her drawing removed, which I have happily complied with; ideally class 1959 should assemble a venue where pairs of related groups of work be exhibited.)
date 1956?
Class of 1959

No comments: