Sunday, February 12, 2012

Kate McWit, our first scottish terrier: in memorian



February 8, 1999+, 11:00 AM







As I have recounted on earlier posts, Kate was a "love at first sight" being, seen at a pet shop, now known as an outlet for puppy mills, but then in 1986, a store that sold animals and animal food. In a rush to see Legal Eagles, a movie with Deborah Winger and Richard Gere, we went into the store to buy my daughter, Jennifer fish food for the gold fish she had won at a local bazaar (and of course take care of her catch). Bess caught Harold's eye and he began to play with her and she responded eagerly. But he walked on. When I reached the cage I too played with her but I could not walk on; she was so extraordinary and winsome. Out of the cage she came and I watched as she ran about a little playroom. And she was mine. My heart was certain; no doubts. I wanted tot bring her home immediately but that was not possible. But the following morning, when the store was open Kate was put into a cardboard box and we drove home with our new family member. Since she had never experienced grass, when she was placed on it, she was tentative: "what is this stuff."
I have made so many errors of judgment but this was not one of the, Kate was the very best choice I ever made. She was a perfect creature: playful, thoughtful, clever, observant, beautiful, engaging: if only humans were half as fine as she our world would be so much better. She travelled to Maine, she loved the ocean, the tide; she was amazed and curious when a balloon floated close to the field she played in in Tenafly, NJ. I could make a fair list and it would never be sufficient. She looked, observed and tried to understand what that "thing" was. Ahave praised her in the past and I praise her still, and her face and a curl of her hair is in a locket that I always wear close to my heart. So dear she was to us, and to her "brother" companion Fala. She cared for him when he wa sill, and she played with him in health; She had a nurturing inclination and would take dolls out outside for play and to groom them them. And she was a ball player extraordinaire. She could pitch the ball with her mouth and then a return ball would be caught in mid-air.
Do I regret that we had her spayed. What a mistake. Her final illness was grievous and when death did not take her with ease but caused a dreadful struggle she was injected. Today her remains are on the mantlepiece and she is with us always. Her descendants are introduced to her and she is the matriarch of the family of scottish terriers who live with us. Her grand daughter Bess is our companion who has been instructed in family history and knows the story of Kate.

No comments: