Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Dr. Beate Caspari-Rosen with Kate: my mother holds Kate


1986 or early 1987. Kate was a year old or possibly she was slightly older. The photograph was taken at my home in Tenafly, New Jersey; books are in a state of disarray as more books were added to the library, ultimately leading to an extension for them and a more private space to work.
Kate seems to draw back; she never did feel comfortable in a person's lap for long or only rarely when she was frightened or needed reassurance. Surely this independence came about from the circumstances of her earliest days and possibly a predisposition
Our family had a dog, Schatzi, a short-haired red dachshund, who was beloved by all and who became, in time, my parents' dog. I drew innumerable pictures of her alone, and also with other persons, such as Richard Brignoli, my first husband.

No comments: