Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Mankind, an Insensate savage breed: Sir Thomas More: on inhumanity



Comments of a Rabbit which, after Elduing a Weasel, Fell into Nets Spread by a Hunter

The weasel I did escape by darting through an opening off to one side, but--alas for me, miserable creature--then I rushed into the hunting of nets of men. Now I cannot save my life or win quick death. They are saving me, alas, only to throw me to the ravening hounds. Now, while the hounds tear my body to pieces with their wicked teeth, a man looks on and smiles at the bloodshed. Insensate breed, more savage than any beast, to find cruel amusement in bitter slaughter!

The Latin Epigrams of Thomas More, edited with translations and notes by Leicester Bradner and Charles Arthur Lynch, University of Chicago Press, 1953, p. 149.

No comments: