Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tenakill Brook, Tenafly, N.J.: gasoline and pollution






On Tuesday, at about 5:00 pm in the afternoon, I walked along the Tenakill Brook path in Tenafly. I began to smell a noxious odor that made me feel almost sick: the odor was caused by gasoline fumes. At first I did understand how this was possible; then I looked at the brook's water, which was fast flowing due to a heavy downpour on Monday, January 24, 2010. The surface was carrying a coating, obviously the gasoline that I was inhaling. This water eventually goes into our water supply. Aside from the obvious damage to the area around the stream, how is the gasoline finally removed from drinking water and household water? Evidently the downpour caused gasoline from a nearby site to flood into the Tenakill. Our public health is at risk by such a situation; it is time that the state of New Jersey, Bergen County, and Tenafly work together to end this appalling situation.

No comments: